Portions for 4 persons.
Jókai was a famous Hungarian writer. Legend has it that this was his favorite soup.
- 25 dkg of cranberry bean- 80 dkg of smoked meat (a bit fatty)
- 2 bay leaf (turkish)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 8-10 pcs. of black papper
- 15 dkg white and red carrot
- 10 dkg smoked sausage
- 2 tbs flour
- 1 onion
- 1 tbs oil
- 1 tsp of grinned red pepper
- 2 dl of sour cream (if you run a kosher kitchen leave this out)
- 2 tsp of lemon
1. Soak the beans in water overnight, also the smoked meat in a separate pan.
2. Next day, add water to overlap the meat and start cooking it.
3. Once it is half done add the beans, the bay leafs, the galic and the pepper.
4. Once the bean is also half done add the white and red carrot.
5. Add the smoked sausage without skins.
6. Cook it till it is done on low fire.
7. When the smoked meat is boiled and ready, take it out and cut it to small pieces. Put it back when ready.
8. Heat oil in a separate pan. Add flour and stir until it is brown. Then add the chopped onion and stir it for more 2 minutes.
9. Take away from fire and add the red pepper and 3 dl cold water. Stir it well!
10. Add the result of step 9. into the soup (plus the sour cream if you whish).